Thursday 5 August 2010

Trying to Write

I'm trying to write. Honestly. Which is why I'm in my office sitting at my big computer doing a blog post instead of being in bed with my laptop writing a novel.

I'm trying to write. But I'm not really being honest. If I was, I'd be tapping away on the lap top, and not here. But because I'm 'trying' - trying to lose weight, trying to be honest, trying to get the work done - I'm hoping for a few points for effort. Let me off the hook - I'm trying!

I've heard students say this. 'I tried to get the writing done, honest.' And because I'm a mean, horrid person, I've put a pen down on the table in front of them.

'Try to pick the pen up,' I say gently. They pick the pen up, and I put it back down. 'I didn't ask you pick the pen up, I asked you to try to pick the pen up.' They look puzzled for a few seconds, then get the point. You can't 'try' to pick a pen up, you can only pick the pen up, or leave it.

I'm not trying to write. I'm either writing, or I'm not. End of.


2 comments:

Sean Z P Harris said...

Ah, very Yoda: Do or do not. There is no try.

Not that I'm suggesting that you're in anyway a small, green alien living in the middle of a swamp!

Sarah Duncan said...

Disguise it be slipping.