Wednesday 11 August 2010

Frustration!

What's the point of having a blog if you can't have a little rant from time to time? I ban computer discussion from my classes as I find them terminally dull. Computers, like cars, are functional bits of kit that should get you from A to B without fuss.

And then they stop functioning.


So, right now at this moment, I am using a library computer, half an hour access at a time. It's not conducive to inspiration. And yet...


When I first got excited by writing - which is not the same time as when I first started writing - nothing would stop me. I wrote when builders dust surrounded me, I wrote sitting on a camp stool hunched over the laptop burning my thighs (I soon acquired one of those TV dinner trays which solved that problem), I wrote on the kitchen table tapping away with one hand while passing the ketchup with the other. Basically, I wrote regardless of my circumstances.


People do. They write in prisons, they write while holding down three jobs. They write when they are exhausted from dealing with the emotional demands of their friends and family. They get up an hour early and write.


If you are a writer, you write. No circumstances, certainly no computer problems, will stop you. You are a writer, you write. That's all there is to it.

No comments: