Thursday 25 November 2010

Happiness as a Writer

I caught Sister Wendy on television the other day. For those of you who don't remember, she is a nun who had an unlikely hit with a television series about art, ooh, ten years ago? She was wonderful enthusiastic and unselfconscious, but didn't like the limelight or being a celebrity and retreated back to her life as a hermit in a caravan in the grounds of a convent.

I don't know why exactly she was on television when I saw her - I'd put the television on to catch the weather forecast - but I listened to her briefly. Her young and shiny interviewers obviously couldn't believe that a person who'd been famous could be happy now they were out of the limelight.

'Oh yes,' Sister Wendy said, beaming rapturously. 'Happiness is concentrating on something you believe matters.'

How true.

It doesn't matter what it is. Making a meal for the family, playing the piano, working out at the gym. And writing. I believe writing matters, and I'm never happier than when I'm absorbed by it. With all the ups and downs, the disappointments and successes, writing is endlessly fascinating, endlessly absorbing. Writing makes me happy. I hope it does you too.

5 comments:

Kath McGurl said...

What a fabulous definition of happiness! Wise Sister Wendy.

Sarah Duncan said...

Isn't it lovely? Perhaps you need to live in as a hermit a caravan to really appreciate where happiness lies.

Michelle Douglas said...

Oh, Sarah, that's a fabulous quote. I'm going to write that down and tack it on the fridge!

Thanks!

Kath McGurl said...

Living as a hermit in a caravan is sometimes very appealing.

Sarah Duncan said...

Though not perhaps in this weather, which is more like being in the fridge rather than tacked on to the fridge.