Tuesday 4 May 2010

Annie's Email

This morning I got an email from my sister Annie who lives abroad and is busy writing her second book on gardening. It talked about various family things and finished with the comment: I write a lot of words daily, but not on the book.

Oh, yes, I know that feeling. Each of my blog posts are between 300-500 words, and I've nearly done 200 since I started last year. So roughly that's 80,000 words since October on the blog alone. Then there are emails. Some days are better than others, but I must do at least 10 a day, let's say averaging 100 words although some are much longer, and not many are shorter. That's another 20,000. Then there's Twitter. Okay so it's only 140 characters, but perhaps five times a day? (I may be deluding myself here.) Another couple of thousand for sure.

In other words, I've written enough words for a book since October, though it's not a real book. I've also been writing a real book - a novel - at the same time. I've done quite a few thousand words on that too, but not as many as my blog. If only I'd done the same word count for my book as for my blog...

Perhaps that should be my new resolution. Write as much as you blog and email. Sounds simple, doesn't it?

No comments: