Saturday 16 January 2010

The Unread Bookshelf

I have, by most people's standards, an awful lot of books. When I moved to this house it took two furniture vans, one for the furniture and all the other stuff, one for the books. At that point I had about 10,000 of them. On arrival I did a bit of a cull, and a couple of thousand went. I did another cull last year, and possibly another thousand went to charity. However, they had already been replaced by a handful more...

Looking round my office - a small room - I have five bookcases lining the walls, all with extensions so they nearly reach the ceiling. Each has eight shelves, each full of newly acquired books. I've just counted one shelf - 44 books. 44 x 8 x 5 = oh, I don't want to do the maths, it's too embarrassing. I have a book habit, OK? In the office, most of the books are on writing or books I've bought for research purposes or books I use as teaching examples, but there are a couple of shelves that house the unread books.

The unread books were mostly bought because other people recommended them, or I thought I 'ought' to read them. Some I've been given as presents, some are freebies from publishers. A couple are the third book on the 3 for 2s. The unread shelf is distinct from the to be read shelf, which is out on the landing, because I actually read from the TBR shelf. Deep down I know that I'm not going to make inroads on the unread shelf but still they hang around, worthy reads all, just not the choice of my heart. Perhaps one day...


No comments: