Thursday 19 May 2016

You Must XXX If You Want To Be A Writer

There's so much advice available on how to be a writer.  I read lots of articles and think 'oh, if only I could do XXX, then I'd be a proper writer!'

Which is weird because most people would say I was a proper writer, having been published in 14 different languages and won awards and all that. But I read those articles and feel like a fraud.  Here are five reasons why:

1)   I have never taken to using a notebook.  I've bought them and lots of people give them to me as presents but somehow it's never worked for me.  Generally I forget to take a notebook with me, and on the occasions when I do have it, I write things down like great book titles or character ideas but then lose the notebook or forget what the scribbles meant when I find it a year later.

2)   I've never had a proper writing routine.  I have vague aims like 1000 words a day, but no 'I get up at 5 and write for 2 hours' sort of thing. Especially not the 'get up at 5' bit.

3)   Inciting incident, moment of despair, fetching the elixir... Well, yes, I know what they mean by it and yes, Hero's Journey can act as a useful roadmap.   But I only read about The Hero's Journey after I had my first best-seller.  I see the appeal, but trying to shoehorn my story into a formula seems the wrong way round to me.

4)  Character lists.  I've never done one of these that has actually helped with the writing or  developing the characters.  We did them at drama school too - I'm actually quite good at inventing details on the spot when asked and got lots of brownie points.  But help me be a better actor or writer?  Nah.

5)  The certainty of the writers in the efficacy of their advice unsettles me.  Nothing is certain when it comes to creativity. What works for you won't necessarily work for one other writer, let alone the rest of the writing world.  The way I see it, it's all a bit random.  Yes, working hard and persisting are important because you won't get to The End otherwise, but a lot of the rest is about personality and different tastes and individual circumstances.  There is only the right way for you.  And for me, it doesn't include a notebook.

NB And yes, I do get the irony given I offer writing advice on this blog.


9 comments:

Anita Chapman said...

It's so great to see you back, Sarah! Used to read your posts daily back in 2011 when I started blogging, and joined Twitter and Facebook. I love reading how-to-write books when I'm stuck and take from them what works for me, ignoring the rest. My favourite is Stephen King's On Writing, and recently enjoyed Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert which is great to have on standby when feeling uninspired! (although some bits more relevant to me than others). I keep a notebook in my handbag for those days when I'm in a cafe and want to write down ideas, and sometimes I go through phases of writing by hand in cafes when I can't get my WIP going on the computer. Look forward to reading more of your posts! :)

Sarah Duncan said...

Thanks Anita. I think Stephen King's book is about the best there is. I haven't read Big Magic, I'll look it up.

Writing in cafes is another writer thing I never do although perhaps I should as I love writing on trains.

Giles Diggle said...

Absolutely spot on! You have to be yourself first and foremost in every aspect of writing, apart from all the technical copyediting stuff!

Sarah Duncan said...

Hi Giles! Your comment about copyediting made me laugh - because you're so right, but I'd not thought of it like that.

Penny A said...

Notebooks - can be useful, but I often lose them. The nice thing is re-reading when you find them later, and discovering something brilliant you didn't know you'd thought of...maybe.
What I can never do without is starting off with a huge sheet of paper and a large spidergram!

Sarah Duncan said...

That's interesting Penny, I was thinking of giving a spidergram a go instead of using index cards. Now I'll def give it a try.

AliB said...

I'm another notebook refusenik, Sarah. Recently I was on a panel of writers and as soon as the n word was mentioned it was all 'oh yes of course' while I politely looked the other way and tried not to feel like a failure!
Trains are good. Maybe it's time I went on one :)

Joanna (Lazuli Portals) said...

I agree with all of these!
Google Documents and Spreadsheets are my GoTo places for making notes and nquestions, so my pretty notebooks can remain pure and unsullied ;)
I think my favourite of the five points, though, is simply to go with whatever you find works for you. Unique person and circumstances ==> unique approach to creativity and organisation. Absolute freedom to do it your way... :)

Sarah Duncan said...

Yes, yes, yes... it's all about finding what works for you.

I so identify with your comment about keeping pretty notebooks pure and unsullied BTW.