1. That the work you're proudest of gets slammed in workshops.
2. The work you tossed off just before turning up is praised in workshops.
3. You will think your work is rubbish and a waste of time, usually at around the 25,000 word mark.
4. If you persist, writing gets easier.
5. No one will respect your writing time unless you do.
6. Writers are generally friendly and hugely supportive.
7. You will never know what to say when someone asks "Have you written anything I've read?"
8. Sometimes writing is easy, sometimes it's hard. When you look back, you can't tell the difference in the work.
9. There is always something else to do instead of writing.
10. If you start writing, the words will come.