Friday 24 December 2010

Christmas Posting

Yesterday I had an interesting email from someone previously unknown to me. She wanted me to look at her script, plus her synopsis, character breakdown, notes and treatment. They were all attached and she'd helpfully included details of the computer programme she'd used, and how I could download the programme if I didn't already have it. She'd really like written feedback, but would accept a discussion over the phone, but it had to be over the next two weeks because she had a deadline she wanted to meet.

Strangely, I didn't feel like spending my Christmas holiday doing this.

I have heard anecdotally of people losing a sense of proportion when approaching agents and publishers - the manuscript shoved under the loo door at a writing conference is legendary - but it's the first time I've directly experienced it.

Stop! Think how you'd feel if someone did whatever it is you're thinking of back to you. Imagine you're running a busy office - would you really welcome a call to discuss a manuscript that only came through the letterbox the day before? Would you like to give feedback to the sales guy who just called to sell you something you didn't want? Or in my case, can you honestly say you'd be happy to give up your holiday for a complete stranger?

Hey ho. Over Christmas I feel like putting my feet up a bit, so I'm going to post some of my previous favourite blog posts over the next couple of days.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bare faced cheek! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas, love having the family home. x

Sean Z P Harris said...

Happy Christmas to you and yours, my dear!

Kath McGurl said...

Aw, and I was about to send you my 500,000 word trilogy to edit for me while I put my feet up for a couple of weeks. You mean you won't do it? Not even if I send you a box of chocolates for your trouble? Shucks.

Hope you had a lovely Christmas!

Sarah Duncan said...

Thanks - for the Christmas wishes and NOT sending me the trilogy!